Sunday, October 3, 2010

Brand Names Abroad, Week 5 Post 1



I have seen several products here with American sounding names and I wanted to make some comments and reflections about this. Mainly, I have seen the product pictured above in several different packaging styles but all with an American theme. I think the biggest part about my interest in this product is that we have nothing like it in America. However, it has been put on most burgers that I order, one of which was called a 'Chicago Burger'. From my understanding, it is very Swedish to put sauce on meat, whether it be hamburgers, chicken, or meatballs. The fact that it can be misunderstood for a popular product abroad gives it a marketing advantage. I was speaking with a native Swede that said it simply doesn't matter whether a product is American or not, and even if it has writing on it that says 'made in China', if it has an American sounding name, it seems better. I was surprised to hear this from a Swede who probably knows that American food contains several preservatives and fattening ingredients, but I think this idea is universal with product names. In America, I would agree that brand names and foods with ethic names seem more quality to buy, with an understanding that the recipe is authentic or that it has been imported. This product is interesting because although it is a Swedish food item, it remains outside of the Swedish realm with its American name and packaging. Perhaps there are certain items in the Swedish market that should be adopted into the normal menu of Swedish dishes, but for some reason need to be left marked as foreign.

No comments:

Post a Comment