Friday, October 8, 2010

week 6 post 3, designated gender areas

In Uppsala, I have noticed a trend when I shop- it is a constant confusion of whether or not I am looking at men's or women's clothing. This blog is mostly about physical things that I see related to Swedish marketing and advertising, but I think its important as well to talk about things that I don't see. Missing from many stores are big signs directing men to one area and women to another. This is interesting because I am seeing a blend within the community in reference to what kind of clothes belong to each gender. Women manage to make male inspired shoes look great with their outfits, while men wear brightly colored clothing and form fitting clothes. It seems there are less opportunities in Sweden to declare yourself one gender or another- instead you just shop for things that you like. The same goes for washrooms in public. Most washrooms that I have seen are not designated for men or women, they are for anyone. I have heard a local Swede bring this up in conversation about how it is a hot topic in Swedish politics right now that mens and women's restrooms should be eliminated because it forces people to identify with a gender. With its public areas accommodating several gender associations, Sweden is telling its people that it is a welcoming place for all types of people. I have noticed more same-sex couples in public than I am used to at home, it doesn't seem as 'risky' for people to openly show their affection here. This goes back to the idea that Sweden is a place for everyone to enjoy and feel comfortable in. With businesses on board, this shows that the advertising and marketing plans are in agreement with the government and the welfare state, and will continue to uphold their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment