Monday, September 27, 2010

Daim advertisement, Week 4 Post 3



I hope I am translating correctly and that the main idea I got is the same that the viewers are getting from this ad. I saw this ad on my way into town on bike, only about 2 minutes from the city center. This ad stands out from others because it advertises candy, something that I don't really see a lot ads for. The ad encourages the viewer to treat themselves to a candy bar but that it is something special with the clear distinction of 'sometimes'. This is an effective way of reaching its target audience, I am estimating to be young adults in the age group of 23-35. The woman pictured here is professional, clean cut, on-the-go, and lean. This can be a tough group to sell chocolate bars to- not as simple as children. From this perspective, the ad is really working. The strategy of this ad is due much to cultural norms here. I feel that in this country, life is very simple and there is little overdone. People simply buy what they need and nothing more, transportation of goods is done mostly by bike, and there is not room for excess. In general from what I am used to paying in America, food is expensive here and therefore is not over- consumed. Unnecessary products, especially in a simple culture, need strategy such as this to convince or persuade. Compared to American ads, a smarter approach and a more well thought out angle is needed. Advertising in Sweden presents its own set of challenges and this clearly shows that. It is also notable that the product is not pictured here, just the package. Perhaps it is not necessary to tempt viewers as much as it is in America by picturing food to lure them in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment