Monday, September 27, 2010

fashion ad, week 4 post 2



I think it is unique that I do not feel overwhelmed by ads here. Compared to America, there is plenty of empty space that can be used for advertising but simply is not. I think this is most interesting when it comes to the element of advertising that suggests what one ought to do. I do not feel as though I am bombarded with suggestions of what I need to get, what I need to look like, and how I need to feel when I use my products. Therefore, when I see ads like this one above in a Swedish setting, I find it speaking to a much different shopping process than the American way. I think that the Swedish population has a high standard for how one should dress, but it does not thrive on needing more and more 'things'. The fashion scene here stays afloat because everyone has a general agreement that they will not walk into the street wearing pajamas, or looking sloppy. The Swedes generally dress more simple, more refined, and less frilly than Americans. Also missing from their wardrobes is a mass amount of logos and shirts with brand names printed on them. I think this is a big reason why clothes aren't over consumed in this culture. When brand names and logos are printed, it is very obvious when it was bought and what store it came from. So, when the brands go out of style or out of business, they are expired and need to be replaced. I have observed a different method here, where an investment is made in a nice transparent piece of clothing that lacks a statement but simply fits in. Many of the clothing pieces I see in the windows are very versatile, timeless, and quality. First shopping in Sweden, I had pricetag shock. But, now I am beginning to realize that the Swedish or perhaps a more Scandinavian way is to select thoughtfully, sparingly, and maturely. Being an American in this setting has me thinking of new ways to consider my shopping decisions, to disregard seasonal trends that will go out in a year, and most of all to look for quality. The advertisement above holds up to the way the Swedes shop. It shows a product that is very plain and simple yet has a selling point. The price suggests quality and model looks to be a young professional and therefore represents a range of ages. If this ad were in America, I think the Americans would need some more convincing to invest in a $73 pair of jeans. A more 'in your face' style would need to be implemented into the strategy, and of course it would need to compete with the crowd of ads already displayed every direction that one looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment